Human Trafficking in Myanmar Between 2007 and 2012

in Transnational Crime

In 2007, the Government of Myanmar established a task force dedicated to combating human trafficking within its border. Between 2007 and 2012, the task force has reportedly rescued over 1,700 victims of human trafficking.

80 percent of the human trafficking victims in Myanmar end up being trafficked to China. The remaining 20 percent are trafficked to Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand.

Source:  Kate Hodal, “Duped women fight back as Burma gets to grips with human trafficking,” Guardian, December 24, 2012.

Previous post:

Next post: