Listed below are books and other research materials on the global black market and criminal activities.
Updated: November 11, 2013.
If you would like to submit resources or data to Havocscope, please visit this page.
Black Market (General):
- Custom Search Engine – Havocscope’s custom search engine that filters results to only include news and research organization.
- llicit: How Smugglers, Traffickers and Counterfeiters are Hijacking the Global Economy Great book that will give you a fundamental understanding of the global black market and how it affects governments, society and national security.
- Sex, Drugs, and Body Counts: The Politics of Numbers in Global Crime and Conflict Offers a critical take on the various estimates about human trafficking, illegal drugs and other global crime figures released by law enforcement.
- Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children Online: A Strategic Assessment-Prepared by the European Cybercrime Centre-Europol (PDF) Report discusses the online black market in child sexual abuse images. Highlights of the report was covered by Havocscope here.
- The Last Narco: Inside the Hunt for El Chapo, the World’s Most Wanted Drug Lord Meet the boss of the Sinaloa Drug Cartel and a man who was once listed on Forbes Billionaire List.
- Narcoland: The Mexican Drug Lords And Their Godfathers The author is living under protection after receiving numerous death threats from drug cartels in Mexico. According to the Guardian, traffickers have left the heads of decapitated animals on her doorsteps as the results of her investigations.
Organ Trafficking and Body Parts:
- The International Trafficking of Human Organs: A Multidisciplinary Perspective (Advances in Police Theory and Practice)
- Body Brokers: Inside America’s Underground Trade in Human Remains [Paperback]  (Author) Annie Cheney
- Gomorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples’ Organized Crime System The author is currently living under police protection as the Mafia has placed a contract hit on his life due to writing this book.
- Gomorrah (The Criterion Collection) Movie based on the above book.
- Yakuza: Japan’s Criminal Underworld One of the best books about Japanese organized crime. Offers a great explanation about the relationships and structure of the Yakuza.
- Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) Author Jake Adelstein is a US reporter who covers the Yakuza beat in Japan. This memoir of his work will be made into a movie in 2014.
- Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery While focusing on unsolved murders of prostitutes hired through Craigslist, the book also examines the prostitution trade over the Internet.
- Black Market: Inside the Endangered Species Trade in Asia Heartbreaking pictures of animals being trafficked for sale. Highly recommend this book.